Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blizzard 2009

Things would be much easier if I had a treadmill. I wouldn't have to go out and run 8 miles in a level two snow emergency. I wouldn't have to risk being run off the road by surprised FedEx drivers and my neighbors wouldn't all think I'm crazy. I know they think I'm crazy because they all said so when I ran by while they were shovelling their drive. With the complaining out of the way it was actually pretty fun running in the snow and ice. It's sort of like youth soccer practice in pouring rain. Once you submit to the reality that you are going to get soaked you realize how fun it is to slide around in the mud; but I digress... The road conditions were pretty interesting. In Columbus we got about 2 inches of snow, followed by an inch of ice, followed by another 3 inches of snow. There were so few people out on the roads that I ran in the middle of the road for most of my run, staying in the tire tracks when possible. I think I did get on the nerve of our local mail carrier because we were keeping the same pace when you factor in that she had to stop every 100 feet to deliver her mail. Luckily I don't think she could make out an ID because I was covered up pretty well. I'll attach a picture because I think you'll all get a kick out of my attire. The wind was blowing so hard and when combined with the snow it was very difficult to see at some points. If I had thought of it I would have gotten out my ski goggles! Alright I think I've babbled on enough. As promised I'll attach a picture from the run today and as a bonus I'll throw in a photo of one of my dogs. This is Riley on inauguration day, as you can see he's got his Capital Building chew toy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michael,
    Great to see your blogging too. Owning your own treadmill has its pros and cons and unfortunately in weather like this they are good thing to have but not really after about 6 or 7 miles. LOL

    ReplyDelete