Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Weekly Recap 4/26

It’s been over a week since my last blog entry so I figured it’s about time to post my workouts. Since I don’t keep a training log my blog has been a good way for me to track my workouts. As Mohican approaches I’m going to have to be more conscious of my training strategy. I’ve always been the type to just listen to my body with no regard for my weekly mileage. On Saturdays I go long, anywhere between 15-25 miles, and on Sundays I do an easy 6-8 with friends. My training during the week is lacking. I typically run around 10 miles on Wednesdays, with at least 5 at tempo or yasso pace (with a group). On Mondays and Thursday’s I lift and do a 40 minute intense elliptical session. Tuesdays and Friday’s are typically rest days. For most people this would be a heck of a weekly workout regiment but I feel like I’m not getting in the miles in that I should. I need to be out pounding the pavement 5 days a week instead of the current 3, but it’s so easy to jump on the elliptical and watch the Tribe while I work out. I read other peoples blogs about 80-100 mile weeks and I’m luck if I get ½ that. I need to step it up, that’s all there is to it.
The week after the Mohican 50k was pretty easy. I lifted on Tuesday and Friday, I worked out on the elliptical on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday (for 2 hours!), and I did an 18 miler on Saturday in the heat. That’s right, I only ran once. I spent a lot of time on the elliptical, but not much time on the pavement. I had to skip my normal Wednesday workout because I had a speaking engagement at OSU’s Fisher College of Business. It killed me to not be out there with my teammates for my regular speed workout.
The plan this week it to run more and spend less time on the elliptical. With that being said, Monday’s workout consisted of a lifting session and 40 intense minutes on the elliptical. I’m not someone who sweats, I’ve gone entire marathons without breaking a sweat, but there’s something about that damn machine. I crank up the resistance and incline and grind out a 40 minute workout and I’m soaking wet afterwards. Hopefully I can get my but outside and run a few times this week, I know I’ve got a speed workout on Wednesday. The plan for this weekend is to run the 14 miles downtown from Blacklick (home) in time for the start of the Cap City ½ Marathon. I’ve got hundreds of teammates running this so I want to be there to cheer them on. After spending 2+ hours cheering people on I plan on running the 14 miles back home. My MIT coach is the medical director and will be at the finish, so I’m hoping he’ll let me help myself to a banana and bagel to refuel. On Sunday I’m heading to Pittsburg to cheer on more teammates who are running this weekend’s marathon. I’ll report back next week to let you know how the weekend went.

p.s. I really wish I could have talked my wife out of buying the elliptical and convinced her to get a treadmill…alas, she hates running and wouldn’t even consider it. If her company wasn’t chipping in $500 as part of their wellness program I might have had more say in the decision. I’ll admit the elliptical is a nice machine but I’d love to be able to run and watch the Tribe (did I mention that I’m an obsessed baseball fan??!!!).

1 comment:

  1. Rob recommended to me that I plan out my runs ahead of time and put them on my blog so that I stick to it. For the most part, it's helped me. Perhaps you should consider something of the sort so that you get out on the road more (or exercise 6 days a week to keep the ellipitcal in there??).

    ReplyDelete