Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Year of the 100

Most people would be pretty content with two 100 mile finished in one year.  As I was eyeing my fall races I struggled to find anything other than another 100 that really sparked my interest as a GOAL race.  As far as road marathon's go Columbus is about as good as it gets and I may run that easy but right now, where I'm at with my running, road marathon's don't really get me excited.  Roy's race, Running with Scissors, is another race that I really want to run but but wasn't sure if I wanted that to be my GOAL race.  I really wanted to find a race that was not a 100 that would get me motivated to train hard but it just wasn't happening - mostly because I still had Grindstone in the back of my mind.  I don't want to fall into a rut where only 100's inspire me.

With all that being said I just signed up for my fall 2010 and spring 2011 goal races: the Grindstone 100 and Umstead 100.

Aside from the distance these 100's are about as different as you can get.  Grindstone is a technical 100 with a ton or elevation change.  Just competeing Grindstone in the allotted 38 hours will be an accomplishment.  Umstead is not technical and it's hills are very gradual and mostly runnable (from what I understand).  I will definitely go into Umstead with an aggressive time goal.

Well I've got my work cut out for me.  Enough typing, I've got to go run!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment